Owner: Antarctic Heritage Trust, New-Zealand.
This artefact comes from the collection of c.18,000 artefacts at Terra Nova Hut, the expedition base built by Captain Robert Falcon Scott and party during his 1910-1913 expedition to Antarctica. It is a box of thick cardboard containing glass test tubes wrapped in thin paper. The box was originally held closed with a string tie, the remains of which are still present. A large part of the box is missing and the part remaining is mouldy and structurally very damaged. The treatment consisted of mould remediation (vacuuming with HEPA filter and de-naturing mould spores with an ethanol:water mixture) cleaning, and reinforcing the cardboard with Japanese tissue. The contents have been cleaned, stabilized and returned back into the box in their original packed formation.